Nameless: A Tale of Beauty and Madness by Lili St. Crow

13541909When Camille was six years old, she was discovered alone in the snow by Enrico Vultusino, godfather of the Seven—the powerful Families that rule magic-ridden New Haven. Papa Vultusino adopted the mute, scarred child, naming her after his dead wife and raising her in luxury on Haven Hill alongside his own son, Nico.

Now Cami is turning sixteen. She’s no longer mute, though she keeps her faded scars hidden under her school uniform, and though she opens up only to her two best friends, Ruby and Ellie, and to Nico, who has become more than a brother to her. But even though Cami is a pampered Vultusino heiress, she knows that she is not really Family. Unlike them, she is a mortal with a past that lies buried in trauma. And it’s not until she meets the mysterious Tor, who reveals scars of his own, that Cami begins to uncover the secrets of her birth... to find out where she comes from and why her past is threatening her now.
 
 
 I brought this book with me on vacation, and I was sure glad that I brought more! I just didn't want to put it down! I'm a sucker for re-vamped fairy-tales. So, it's no surprise that Nameless caught my attention. In this alternate universe, people have magic (they call it potential) and that magic can twist you into something horrible if you're not careful or it can be used for ordinary things. My favorite thing about this book though is the friendship between Cami, Ellen, and Ruby. Their group dynamic reminds me of my own group of friends. It's hard to tell you what makes this book so different from other versions of Snow White without spoiling the story for you, so I'm just going to make it a point to tell you to read it. 
What else is great is that there are TWO more books after this one about Ellen and Ruby! I'm reading Ellen's story now and I'm really enjoying that too. The only disappointment that I can find with this story is that there are no airplanes in this world. I'm assuming that there is a safety reason for this, but if Lili St. Crow ever decides to continue this series (which I really hope she does) maybe she could explain why there isn't air travel. Or maybe it's in the last book and I just haven't gotten there yet. Anyway, this is a great story for any fairy-tale lover and I highly recommend it. 

                                                                                                - Olivia

Comments