Rose Daughter by Robin McKinley

8089   It is the heart of this place, and it is dying, says the Beast. And it is true; the center of the Beast's palace, the glittering glasshouse that brings Beauty both comfort and delight in her strange new environment, is filled with leafless brown rosebushes. But deep within this enchanted world, new life, at once subtle and strong, is about to awaken.

Twenty years ago, Robin McKinley dazzled readers with the power of her novel Beauty. Now this extraordinarily gifted novelist returns to the story of Beauty and the Beast with a fresh perspective, ingenuity, and mature insight. With Rose Daughter, she presents her finest and most deeply felt work--a compelling, richly imagined, and haunting exploration of the transformative power of love.
-goodreads

I love a good fairy tale retelling and this one doesn't disappoint. What makes this one so unique is just how different the characters are from other versions of Beauty and the Beast. Beauty's sisters took me by surprise. I was expecting them to be selfish the whole way through but they overcome that early on. The only problem I had was the end. It just seemed so rushed and confusing. I'm sure it was meant to be, but it just didn't appeal to me. Overall though, great book. I love this author's work.

-Olivia

Comments